Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: NEVERMORE (Maximum Ride #8 AND LAST)

Nevermore (Maximum Ride The Final Adventure)
James Patterson
middle grade adventure

First, how are you all? I just sprained my ankle... no dancing or running for two weeks. Quite upsetting. On the bright side, it's almost spring break. Anyway, I apologize for my absence. Plan to checkout everyone's blogs soon enough:)

Maximum Ride and her faithful friends stand ready to face the two greatest threats that humankind has ever known--now combining forces in an unbeatable plot to destroy life as we know it once and for all. And this time, the enemy truly can't be stopped.

The danger mounts just as Dylan has finally worked his way into Max's heart--and just as her beloved Fang unexpectedly returns to the flock. An explosive confrontation between the two boys with a claim to Max's heart ensues, and the entire world hangs in the balance.

In this powerful and moving finale to James Patterson's epic fantasy series, fans will finally get the answers they've been waiting for--and an ending full of shock, surprises, and the greatest conclusion you never saw coming.


SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS MAXIMUM RIDE BOOKS- SPOILER FREE FOR NEVERMORE

I can't even begin to describe how excited I was for this book. I was debating how best to get it shipped to me when I was overjoyed to find that the library got it.

And, of course, it was amazing. 

You know those books that it really doesn't matter what's happening because you're too busy smiling goofily at your favorite characters (like Percy Jackson or Artemis Fowl. Even Cassie Clare's books.. )? That's what Maximum Ride is for me. The genius of this series in my opinion is how the story isn't about random things that happen to a bunch of characters (sicknesses, an enemy bent on killing them all, some crisis or another). The plot is moved along mainly by the the personalities of the characters. The flock are all so different from one another but alike in a family kinda way. They've been through so much and you just want to cut them a break but realize that trying to save the world and doing their own thing while being chased by crazy scientists is what they do best. I was happy and laughing almost the whole time, except for the bits where I was torn between Dylan and Fang. And about that...

SHE MADE A LIST. 
It goes on for two more pages. IS THIS NOT THE MOST BRILLIANT THING YOU'VE EVER SEEN??? This is what Max does instead of crying around like a lot of other YA heroines do these days. Now, imagine if the girls in all the other triangles made these lists between Edward and Jacob, Gale and Peeta, Will and Jem, Will and Cassian etc... (God, I could go on all day. That's not exactly a good thing.) 

ANYWAY, this list made my life. HUGE PROPS to Max for this. Goodness, I love her. So ya, Nevermore was amazing.



****BUT**** 
GAWWWDD THE ENDING!!! I won't spoil anything but, IT WAS HALF GENIUS HALF AWFUL. What I mean is, is that the ending was genius. But the END of the ending was horrible (you'll have to read it to see what I mean;)). It left me with my mouth open going WHHHHAAAAATTTT?? See, usually, that's a good thing. But there was so much that wasn't addressed. I was left with so many questions, so many 'what about...????' s. There were 8 books FULL of subplots, characters, hints, cryptic messages, voices and lots of them weren't explained. IMPORTANT things.

Also, I was under the impression that somehow it's all supposed to tie back to saving the world. I mean, that's what the whole series was about, no? Except that it sorta did, sorta didn't. (GOD I want to tell you everything). You'll have to see what I mean. 

But the whole thing was STILL SO BLOODY BRILLIANT. Before it, well, ....... (sorry but YOU'LL HAVE TO SEE) and after it I realized how James Patterson could give Shakespeare a run for his money. Because lemme tell you, the Bard himself never wrote a tragedy that was a happy ever after at the same time (once again, READ IT AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN).

So if all the capitals weren't enough to convince you, READ NEVERMORE. Or if you haven't yet, start Maximum Ride. Grade: 99% FOR THAT DARN ENDING THAT NEARLY KILLED ME.  
-Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3