Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Review: Pandemonium

Pandemonium (Delirium #2)
Lauren Oliver
YA dystopia

Lena's been to the very edge. She's questioned love and the life-changing and agonising choices that come with it. She's made her decision. But can she survive the consequences? PANDEMONIUM is the explosive sequel to the critically acclaimed and bestselling DELIRIUM.

Indeed, this is the less pretty and popular edition of this book but I always write my review with the edition I have- just because I want to. Deal with it!

So, book 2. I liked Delirium, but like Divergent, it didn't live up to all the hype for me. Unfortunately I didn't have my blog back then so I can't give you a link to a review but that was more or less my reaction to it. Good, not amazing.

I am overjoyed to tell you that Pandemonium was amazing! I had fun throughout the entire book, there was just so much happening! Also, I loved how it alternated between then and now. It was like two stories at once- lots to keep you busy. Not to mention, I thought the characters were really fleshed out properly. I felt I knew, or at least understood, the main characters and their actions. I enjoyed hearing Julian's backstory, a little bit of Raven's history- it helped me feel for them and engrossed me in the story. 

Speaking of characters, I really loved Lena in this book- she became so badass! In Delirium she wasn't a damsel in distress, but was being led along and introduced to the Wilds by Alex. Now she fought and fought hard for what she believed in, helped people in need, stood up for herself  and was overall an awesome character. Definitely added to my fave heroine list. 

The romance- done well in my opinion. Felt very natural to me and was really sweet. 

The end- *sigh*. Some readers may view it as a cause for celebration, I personally hated it. I had a suspicion in the beginning of the book, but I was like, 'Nahhh, it's too obvious'. And when the book continued beautifully from there, all worry was wiped from my mind. And then, literally a page or two from the end I was like, 'Oh no. Oh noooooooooo no please no! Ughhh don't do it!' and she did it (by she I mean the author). It was cheesy and obvious and unrealistic and totally unnecessary and basically it just pissed me off. SIGH. 

Despite the above, I'm really looking forward to reading Requiem- I love Lauren Oliver's writing and have decided to trust her and hope she deals with the annoying ending with grace next book. 

Rating: 


Love,
Esty

1 comment:

  1. I did like Delirium, but it didn't feel like the first in a series to me. I was content to walk away after Alex's death and Lena crossing over, leaving her old life. Should I give the rest of the series a go? Is it all just roughing it in the Wilds, or is there more to it than that?

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3