Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: A Shade of Vampire

A Shade of Vampire
Bella Forrest
Paranormal Romance

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?


A vampire book whose author's name is Bella. Huh. 

I received this book for review and had no expectations whatsoever for it. I'm please to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Sophia's story was fun and compelling, and I found myself fascinated with almost everything about it. 

The setting and back story- the novel takes place on a secured island called The Shade which the vamps conquered for themselves to hide in from the hunters (unknown enemy). The descriptions of The Shade were beautifully written and conjured up spectacular images in my head. Also, I was interested in the history of the place and the identity of the hunters- we only get little clues in A Shade of Vampire. It gets me excited for book 2:) 

The characters- Sophia was a relatable teenager suffering from a classic case of in-love-with-your-best-friend. I liked how she stays realistic and faces her fears throughout the book. I wouldn't call her badass, but cool enough. 
Derek, Lucas and Vivienne (main vampire characters. Siblings) each had all sorts of feelings and agendas, making for a great and sophisticated cast. I do wish we got to hear more from Vivienne, though. That girl knows more than she lets on, and I need some more info on these visions of hers! 

The language- like I mentioned above, something about the writing made me really like it. It flowed and just made me think pretty thoughts. Make of that what you will. 

Lastly, the points of view- A Shade of Vampire switches narrator between Derek and Sophia. I enjoyed seeing them each as they see themselves and as they view each other. It made for an interesting contrast. 

One nitpick: It was too short for my liking. I prefer having a basic understanding of the word and/or the magic system and the characters by book 1. A Shade of Vampire, being only 100 pages on kindle, did not satisfy that need. 

Rating: 4 stars. 

Love, Esty
P.s. Don't forget to follow via the new bloglovin button! >>>

1 comment:

  1. "A vampire book whose author's name is Bella. Huh." PARADOX! Haha. I wish I had stuck with this one when I had the opportunity to read it, I've seen quite a few positive reviews for it. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3