Sunday, June 29, 2014

Book to Movie Review: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

The Fault in Our Stars (2014) PosterThe Fault in Our Stars
book by John Green 
directed by Josh Boone

Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.

You can read my review of the book here.

I doubt I could have come to this movie without expectations even if I tried. As you all know, the hype was INSANE. And even if there had been less hype, after that book who wouldn't hope for the movie to live up to it? So yes, I had expectations. And for the first time since Catching Fire, they were met!!

The screen writing: This, I think, is what makes or breaks an adaptation. THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, the screenwriters stuck to the book, and used direct quotes everywhere, catching all the best ones. There were a few more that didn't make it, like 'My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations' and one that I think wasn't done justice - 'I don't mind Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you' was put in in the middle of a heated conversation so It didn't have the poignant moment like at the end of a chapter in the book.  (Just FYI, the above quotes were done by memory. They're everywhere!)

The Casting and Acting: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. No complaints there. They had Hazel and Gus. In everything they did. I even liked Hazel more in the movie. And Ansel- needless to say, my friends and I have found our new celebrity husband. AND HE TAP DANCES. As if he didn't have enough going for him.

Music and Effects: Wonderful. Great choices, cinametography was perfect. I loved how they actually filmed in Amsterdam and the Anne Frank house. Though I wasn't sure how I felt about the Anne Frank quotes being used during the kissing scene. I could see how they were relevant but... I dunno. Holocuast and cancer aren't the same thing. Other than that, the rest of the voiceovers were well done. I especially liked how they did the texting! 

What's that you asked? OF COURSE I CRIED. In fact, I was the one who had the forsight to bring tissues and was passing them to the row behind. The sobbing in the theater was deafening. I couldn't tell what was Shailene and what was the teenage girls until Shailene stopped but the crying continued. 
Well done, Hollywood!! Rating:

In other news, I've started watching the vlogbrothers. Oh.My.God. They are brilliant. Recommended. I learned more in 3 minutes than I do in a year at school. #Nerdfighter.
Love,
Esty

3 comments:

  1. It was pretty good but I can't believe they left out Caroline. Great review. Check mine out at http://myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-fault-in-our-stars-movie-review.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it too and it totally met expectations. It was adorbs. And I SO agree about Ansel. I wasn't really seeing it until I saw the movie, and then I fell for him too. I think the saddest part for me was when he was in the car in the middle of the night and there was blood everywhere and he was so sad but didn't want Hazel to alert his parents and um, I lost it. I was trying really hard not to cry too. ;)

    It was such a great movie. My theatre wasn't full of crying girls, but pretty much everyone left looking absolutely heartbroken lol.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant review of the movie. I did enjoy it but I didn't think it was as amazing as I thought it would be. I didn't cry very much, and I came prepared with tissues as I had expected to sob uncontrollably. I'm not sure why I didn't end up loving it as much as everyone else - maybe my expectations were too high. The audience I had in my cinema screen were pretty awful as well, which didn't help.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3