Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review: Gathering Blue (The Giver #2)

Gathering Blue
Lois Lowry
YA dystopia

It is a society ruled by savagery and deceit that shuns and discards the weak. Left orphaned and physically flawed, young Kira faces a frightening, uncertain future. Blessed with an almost magical talent that keeps her alive, she struggles with ever broadening responsibilities in her quest for truth, discovering things that will change her life forever.

SPOILER FREE FOR THE GIVER AND MESSENGER

First off, I love the title and cover, and how they both tie in with the story. Now, already having read The Giver and Messenger, I pretty much knew what to expect for Gathering Blue. And it was all that I expected but nothing that made me go OMG. 

Kira is a girl born with a twisted leg, making her handicapped. Nevertheless, she is a gifted weaver/sewer/threader- I don't really know how to catagorize her. She lives in the dystopian world Lowry created in The Giver, just in a different community. This one is quite primitive but very selective. Kira was saved from death to work for the council with her gift, on the way discovering all the ways in which her community is corrupted. I liked her a lot. She dealt with her foes in the village calmly but strongly,  and was loving in general but never cheesy. 

The book being short, there isn't much to discuss plotwise, except that the ending was a bit inconclusive, forcing you to read Messenger (book #3). I could tell there was supposed to be some sort of message or symbolism, but it was a little hard to catch (ever happen to you?). I think it had to do with freedom of thought and how we all are prisoners to our society. 

However, I felt it wasn't as deep as the first or the third book, nor Son (book #4 centering aroung Gabe) according to what I heard. 

The best charcter was undeniably little Matt, Kira's friend who helps her out and whom she looks out for. Adorable, charming, and naughty, Matt is maybe 8 and comes from the more harsh area of the community. He alone makes the book worth reading. Also, I loved him in the next book which for some reason I read first (sorry that I keep bringing it up). It was great reading his childhood, helps you understand his teenage self. 

Anyhow, for those of you who loved The Giver, give Gathering Blue a try. If you havn't read it well- there's a reason it won so many awards (The Giver). Grade: 80%  

-Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3