Thursday, June 13, 2013

Book-to-Movie review: The Host

The Host
book by Stephenie Meyer

When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.

I know, I know, I'm a few months behind. Never got around to the theater at the time so I watched it during a movie night last week.You can read my review of the book here.

If you've read my review, you know I loved The Host book. The movie was ups and downs for me. The acting was good in my opinion, but as usual, due to time restraints, relationships were developed too fast. One of my favorite parts of the book was when Jeb slowly integrates Wanda into the cave, and in the movie you didn't really see that. Also, the whole thing with Wes was cut out. 

The above problems were to be expected in every book-to-movie adaptation and therefore didn't bother me too much. The only thing that really annoyed me was the beginning. It was just boring. My friend wanted to switch movies but I insisted we keep going because I wanted to review it. Towards the middle she came around when we saw Jake Abel. As two bookworms, when we saw him we both shrieked 'LUKE!!!'. (he plays Luke Castellan in the Percy Jackson movie) and then she agreed to finish. (For the record, I love him for playing Mark in I am Number Four, too, though at the time my hormones were too busy with Alex Pettyfer to really give Jake the attention he deserves). ANYWAY, back to the beginning: We saw multiple scenes where Seeker was trying to get information from Wanderer. If anything should have been cut it was that. Also, just too much time in the desert. In truth, I can't really put my finger on WHAT bothered me in the beginning so much, but it was not sucking me in and getting exciting. At all. Even later, I was never hooked. 

But other than that, overall not bad. The actors were good, especially the main actress. Hot guys are always a bonus. I didn't love the actress they chose to play Pet (Wanda's second host body) not because of bad acting, but because she looked too old, not at all as described in a book (you couldn't at least have dyed her hair blonde?) and basically not what I imagined her to be.  

Also, the end was not satisfying. Even less than the book.

All in all, if you liked the book, go watch it. I enjoyed seeing the Wanda/Melanie evolve on the big screen. If you didn't like/read the book, forget it- it's not great on it's own in my opinion. 
Rating: 2.5 stars. I don't know how to cut pics yet so just picture it....

Love, Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3