Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: The Council of Mirrors

The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm #9)
Michael Buckley
Peter Ferguson, illustrator
Middle grade fantasy 

In the final volume in the Sisters Grimm series, Sabrina, Daphne, and the rest of the Grimms and their friends must face off against the Master to decide the fate of Ferryport Landing—and the world. When Mirror fails to escape the barrier using Granny Relda’s body, he turns to his plan B: killing all the Grimms so that the magical barrier collapses. In the meantime, Sabrina has gathered the other magic mirrors as advisors on how to deal with their mortal enemy. They tell her to join forces with the Scarlet Hand against Mirror, in exchange for offering all the citizens of Ferryport Landing their freedom. This final chapter is the end of the road for several beloved characters, but the conclusion is sure to satisfy devoted fans of the series.

Ok, lemme just rave for a second. 

The Sisters Grimm is the best series EVER. I read the first one as a fourth grader, with my best friend. We quickly fell in love and bought the rest, but at the time the 9th wasn't out and I hadn't gotten my hands on it till recently.

A series with female protagonists and their male faerie best friend (who is their adorable royal pain in the butt), it is suitable for both middle grade boys and girls, and is like LITERALLY LAUGH OUT LOUD hilarious. You think I'm exaggerating but I'm not. I loled in grade 4, I loled in grade 11. That should say everything. 

I was always able to see myself in Sabrina like I never have in other fictional girls. She is everything other heroines never were - she's really smart but not like Hermione or Annabeth (like, that's not the big outstanding quality that everyone always points out, and basically their role in the story), she's angry and annoyed a lot, mistrusts people and looks out for her family like it's nobody's business. She's not one of those heroines that are written purposely badass to make a feminist point- she cries, she gets frustrated and she frustrates everyone else, all she wants is to be a kid and frequently points out that she got dragged into everything against her will.

And yet - she's the one calling the shots, making decisions, getting things done. She's got a smart mouth and keen eye, and knows how to use them. She talks back to adults and gets reprimanded. She has temper tantrums. She makes mistakes, admits them, and learns. She boils over but then apologizes. SHE IS THE BEST, SMARTEST, MOST MATURE AND REALISTIC 12 YEAR OLD FICTION HAS EVER SEEN. 

And Daphne? The perfect one to balance out Sabrina, representing a different kind of smart, a different kind of girls out there. Their relationship is believable and lovable, and I'll miss it. 

PUCK IS MY REASON FOR EXISTENCE. THAT'S ALL I'LL SAY.

And for another fantastic quality of The Sisters Grimm rarely seen in children's literature, say hello to ADULT SUPERVISION. Granny Relda and Mr. Canis have been there since the beginning, joined later by The Parents Grimm, Uncle Jake, Charming and Snow White. The adults tend to infuriate the kids, but they scold them, teach them, care for them, and yeah, sometimes rein them in while being totally fun, hilarious, sometimes childish, and kick-ass themselves. IT'S SO REFRESHING.

I realize I have been raving more than a second. And I could go on and on. But I won't waste your time and instead just tell you to get your hands on The Sisters Grimm #1, Fairytale Detectives PRONTO. In the meantime, I will cry into my pillow and mourn the ends of one of my all time favorites series and my childhood. 

Rating: Obviously,


Have a great weekend and happy reading!
Love,
Esty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3